Commencement 2017

Bottoms up, seniors. Celebrate graduation with brunch drinks for a pick-me-up to take the edge off.

Aline Peres Martins | Staff Writer

Whether it be a simple mimosa or some Irish Coffee, here are some graduation morning drinks to kick off the celebrations for the Class of 2017.

After four years of grinding, there is something every student deserves: a drink.

Instead of shotgunning beers or taking shots of tequila first thing in the morning, consider something lighter. Try a mimosa. Or a Bellini. Or an Irish coffee. Convocation is at 9:30 a.m., which is early for anyone to drink. But if you’re going to do it, do it responsibly.

If you’re more about drinking in celebration after convocation, these recipes are for you. They are tailored to brunch, originally created as a meal in 1895 as an attempt to cure a hangover, according to MentalFloss, which is right around when convocation ends.

So if you wake up graduation morning with a raging headache and nausea, sit down with one of these easy, light cocktails, in hopes of curing your ailments.

If you need a pick-me-up, try the OG Irish Coffee.

– 6 oz. freshly brewed coffee (Pro tip: Set your coffee maker before you start getting ready in the morning.)
– 1 teaspoon of granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon packed brown sugar
– 1 ½ oz. Irish whiskey
– Freshly whipped cream (Or out of the can — no one’s stopping you.)
– Mix sugar, coffee and whiskey. Add whipped cream to the top.

To honor your Syracuse Orange Pride, make a mimosa.

– The classic mimosa calls for half-orange juice and half-champagne. But we’re celebrating. So instead, pour out about 7/8 a glass of champagne, add a splash of orange juice and call it a day. I’d suggest a brut and Byrne Dairy orange juice to keep it local.

If you’re feeling fancy, brew a Bellini.

– The night before graduation, make a fresh peach blend.

• 2 ripe peaches, diced
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

– Blend on high in a food processor and store the mixture overnight in your fridge.

– In the morning, place 2 tablespoons of peach puree in glass and fill with Prosecco.

If you’re really on the struggle bus, concoct a Classic Bloody Mary.
– ¼ cup tomato juice
– 1 ½ oz. vodka
– 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
– 3 dashes Frank’s RedHot or Tabasco
– 1 pinch salt
– 1 dash ground black pepper
– 4 Ice Cubes
– ¼ teaspoon lemon juice
– 1 stalk celery
– 1 lemon wedge
– Mix vodka, tomato juice, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, black pepper and ice. Top with lemon juice and garnish with a lemon wedge and celery.

Bottoms up, fam. You made it.